The course is split into AAT-recognised units:
- Principles and procedures related to processing business transactions, financial documents and payments for customers and suppliers.
- Developing skills in processing ledger transactions and preparing an initial trial balance.
- Maintenance and reconciliation of a cash book by accurately entering receipts and payments, balancing off the book and reconciling with bank statements.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UK banking system and related organisational activities.
- Petty cash transactions and the importance of the Journal as a primary accounting record.
- Maintaining control over debtors and creditors, aided by preparation and use of debtor and creditor control accounts.
- Non-standard bookkeeping transactions and double-entry bookkeeping records.
Work effectively in accounting and finance
- Developing transferable skills and effective working in an accounting environment.
- Teamwork skills and the ability to work independently.
- Demonstrating workplace-ready standards of literacy and numeracy.
Elements of Costing
- Cost recording systems within an organisation and how best to respond to requests for information relating to costs and expenditure.
- Recording and extracting information, and using a costing system to provide information for management.
Using Accounting Software
- Selecting and using computerised accounting or bookkeeping software to input and process data for orders, invoices, receipts and payments.
- Preparing management and period-end reports.
You will receive your first course materials when you enrol so you can start straight away – and benefit from your qualification sooner*.
You then have the freedom to progress through your course when and where you wish, with support available from our experienced tutors by phone, email or post.
When you are ready, you can book to attend assessments at one of the regional centres.
* You will need to register directly with AAT for student membership. You will then receive useful AAT course resources, a free magazine, access to the AAT social community and more.
To successfully complete the course you will need to pass computer based assessments for each unit and one synoptic assessment*.
Assessments are held at venues throughout the UK, at selected times and you can choose when and where to sit them. Our tutors can recommend when you are ready.
* The synoptic assessment tests students’ understanding of connections between the different topics covered across the qualification. Some units will be assessed only by an end of unit assessment, while others will also be in included in the synoptic assessment.
Please click here
for AAT and assessment centre requirements and fees.
To help you succeed with your studies, you will receive:
- Tutorial books, including explanatory chapters plus plenty of activities and answers
- Workbooks containing practice activities, assessments and answers
- Pocket-sized study and revision guides
- Tutor marked assignments with constructive feedback
- Sage accounting software*
- Support from experienced tutors
- Access to our dedicated student support team
- CV advice and an introduction to an accounting recruitment consultant
- Unlimited access to an online student zone, including practice questions and tests
- Eligibility for an NUS Extra card
* 180 days full access. Further access is available for an additional fee if you wish.
You are able to start this course when you want and continue studying at your own pace. Many students are able to complete this course in approx. 12 months1.
1 Timescales are approximate and depend upon application and motivation.
Successfully complete this course and you will achieve the AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting qualification.
You can contact our experienced tutors by phone, email or post throughout your training. This gives you the opportunity to ask questions, receive feedback and further develop your knowledge of accounting.
Accountancy is a prestigious and respected profession, where people with the right qualifications and attributes have the trust of their peers and can make it to the very top of the corporate world.
By gaining the AAT Foundation Certificate in Accounting qualification, you will have the fundamental skills that underpin this established profession. You could then start a career in accounting at a company in an entry level role.
To help you achieve this, we will give you advice on writing your CV and introduce you to a specialist accounting recruitment consultant.
Successfully complete this course and you will:
- Be able to join a company’s finance department.
- Have a range of demonstrable skills that can help you make an instant impact.
- Enrol on our course that leads to the AAT Advanced Diploma in Accounting qualification.
Our course is open to anyone aged 19 or over, within the UK. We recommend that you have studied Maths and English at Level 2 or equivalent.
To enrol, either:
- Pay with a deposit of £95 now, followed by 12 instalments of £50*
- Pay the total course fee in one sum of £695* and also receive a special Gift from our selection – free. Please click here to view the gifts
* Please click here
for AAT and assessment centre requirements and fees.
To enrol by phone, please call our advisors on Freephone 0800 988 0065 or 01409 220 791.